Sunday, June 24, 2012

Scripture, sexuality and the Church’s call to faithfulness and reform

My June 24, 2013, column for the Grand Haven Tribune, Scripture, sexuality, and the Church's Call to Faithfulness and Reform,
We are blessed to live in a community where cordial and respectful conversation on this sensitive question can be engaged charitably. Since a portion of his column was directed to me, I would like to respond as briefly as I can.

It is indeed true that Paget and I come from traditions that have historically viewed Scripture differently — but we both would affirm its primacy. At my ordination vows as a priest, I declared that I believed the Old and New Testaments to be the Word of God, and to contain all things necessary to salvation. At the same time, in our Anglican understanding, we recognize that Scripture is always viewed through an interpretive lens, including the tradition of the Church and our own God-given reason.
 Read more at the Tribune's website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment